Moving can be a stressful process—as you’d expect for an event that requires you to pack up every single item you own and move it across town or cross-country. However, many issues can be avoided with proper planning. To help your move go smoothly, we’ve compiled a list of some of the most common moving mistakes people make during the moving process—and how to avoid them.
- Neglecting to Purge Your Belongings. In your current home, you’ve likely accumulated years’ worth of items you no longer need or use. Whether you’re a bit of a pack-rat or have many household items, you could be spending excess time, effort, and money packing, moving, and unpacking things you won’t use. In the weeks leading up to your move, identify items you no longer use and either donate or sell what you can.
RELATED ARTICLE: 4 Tips for Moving in Poor Weather
- Procrastinating Before Packing. While packing can seem like a relatively straightforward process, the reality is that it’s more time consuming than you might think. Leaving your packing until the last minute can result in disorganization and broken or missing items on move day—not to mention a considerable amount of stress for you as you attempt to pack and then unpack your hasty packing job. Start packing weeks in advance in a well-organized fashion and accomplish a little at a time, so you’re ready for move day.
- Trying to Do Everything Yourself. While renting a truck and convincing friends to help you move can seem like a cost-saving option, it can be well worth the reduction in stress alone to hire movers. Also, hiring an expert team of movers can make all the difference in the world if you’re moving further than a few minutes’ drive—or if you have heavy furniture and fragile items that require extra care.
RELATED ARTICLE: Changing the Locks on Your New Home in 4 Easy Steps
- Failing to Secure an Estimate. If you rely on merely calling and scheduling a mover, you may be met with a surprise on move day. You’ll need to secure an estimate based on the size of your home and the number of items within, so you’ll have an idea of what you’ll be charged. Schedule an in-home walk-through or request an estimate online to get started.
- Forgetting to Check Insurance. If you’ve hired a reputable moving company, they’ve likely already provided proof of licensing and insurance. If not, be sure to ask for evidence—uninsured companies can leave you liable for damages to the property or your items. This is also an excellent time to read your contract carefully before signing.
Are you ready to begin preparing for your upcoming move?
Call Sylvania Moving when it’s time to move!
You can schedule with us in one of two ways:
- Fill out our Request A Quote form
- Call or text us at 419.740.1005